The symposium appears in Journal of Moral Philosophy (2018). The papers for were originally presented at a joint workshop on Defensive Killing and Seth Lazar’s Sparing Civilians, hosted by the Carnegie Council for Ethics and International Affairs in New York in September 2015, and co-sponsored by the Society for Applied Philosophy, Australian National University and the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation.
- Christian Barry, Material Contribution, Responsibility, and Liability
- Jeff McMahan, Nonresponsible Killers
- Kimberly Ferzan, Defending Honor and Beyond: Reconsidering the Relationship between Seemingly Futile Defense and Permissible Harming
- Massimo Renzo, Political Self-Determination and Wars of National Defense
- Adil Ahmad Haque, Defending Civilians from Defensive Killing
- Helen Frowe, Defending Defensive Killing: Reply to Barry, McMahan, Ferzan, Renzo, and Haque