The symposium appears in Law and Philosophy (2018), guest edited by Helen Frowe. The issue is open access. The papers for were originally presented at a joint workshop on Sparing Civilians and Helen Frowe’s Defensive Killing, hosted by the Carnegie Council for Ethics and International Affairs in New York in September 2015, and co-sponsored by the Society for Applied Philosophy, Australian National University and the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation.
- Helen Frowe, Introduction
- Yitzhak Benbaji, The Lesser Evil Dilemma for Sparing Civilians
- Chesney Ryan, The Hard Hand of War
- Victor Tadros, The Moral Distinction Between Combatants and Noncombatants: Vulnerable and Defenceless
- Alec Walen, Eliminative Killing and the Targeting of Noncombatants Comments on Seth Lazar’s Sparing Civilians
- Seth Lazar, Strengthening Moral Distinction